Sunday, November 25, 2012

Two Lovely Ladies


A couple weeks ago I mentioned that Connor and I had found this adorable little restaurant one evening which is just a hop, skip and a jump away from our apartments. We were so warmly welcomed from the moment we stepped in that it instantly became our favourite place in Tak. Our first time there we really knew no Thai at all which made ordering an interesting adventure. We tried communicating “anything at all”, but this was a failed venture so we resorted to pointing and nodding.

The name of this place is still unknown to me, (all the signs are in Thai), but it is run by two incredible ladies whom I love dearly. They are always so excited to see us when we come. Every time we walk by their restaurant they stop what they are doing to smile, “wai” (Thai way of greeting), and wave. We have continued to go back to this lovely spot very often and feel quite at home there.

In addition to their kind hospitality, the food is always SO GOOD! We have noticed that they have been picking up some English words to communicate with us, and they have been particularly excited lately as our Thai is improving and we are able to order Thai dishes. They are also quite happy that we can now tolerate “ni noiy” (mildly spicy) rather than “my pet” (not spicy) food.  

To get to school in the mornings I have been catching a ride with another girl who is also here teaching and has become a great friend.  This Wednesday she was really not feeling well and knocked on my door quite late in the morning to tell me she would not be headed in to school that day. I was glad that she was going to take the day to rest, but it did leave me in a bit of a pickle. I was supposed to be at the school early that morning to help students prepare for an upcoming English and French competition. The school is only about a 20 minute walk which I do quite often at the end of the day, but I was already running late and hated the idea of not being there for the students.

I walked down the stairs of my apartment and thought, ‘Ok Lord, how will I get there today?’ I began walking towards the school, and not 3 minutes into my walk did a lady on a motorbike pull over, re-strap her basket onto the front of her bike, and motion for me to get on the back. It was one of the ladies from the restaurant! She was on her way to the market to pick up some produce for her restaurant when she saw me walking. She knows which school both Connor and I teach at as her daughter is a student there. The very night before I had been praying for these women and wondering what I could possibly do to serve them and thank them for their kindness. Not half a day later, they are the ones blessing me even more.

Thanks again for reading and for all the emails I've been getting! It is truly so wonderful hearing from you!

~Heather

Student quotes of the week:
“I have made a foot. Have you made a foot?”
“The kitchen has a stove, a refrigerator, and a dead chicken.”
“I dislike monkeys because they jump.”
“I don’t like giraffe because the neck is long.”


A view of my favourite spot!
Thailand seems to have a strange obsession with Carnation milk. They put it in everything. 

Tables are always dressed with a variety of spicy sauces
I must admit we have not been too adventurous in this area yet. 
About to enjoy a feast!

Connor's track shirt makes an international appearance.
(This one is for you Michelle) 
Another reason why we love this place:
Pirate Bear glasses.
Thai cuisine anyone?
Kai jee-o, kow.
a-roy mahk! 

3 comments:

  1. That food looks amazing! Next month, try the moderate spicy :) The adventures you have are amazing too. God always provided for you in one way or another, leading to some pretty sweet stories to share as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, always interesting. May God continue to Bless your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the blog, it brings back a lot a memories for us,,, good for you being able to take food a little spicy. We really miss the a roi maa maak food,,,, keep posting and all the best, Paul & Barbara Burleigh

    ReplyDelete