Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Journey Lens Thailand- Take Two


“Of what value is an idol, since a man has carved it? Or an image that teaches lies? For he who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. Woe to him who says to wood, ‘Come to life!’ Or to lifeless stone, ‘Wake up!’ Can it give guidance? It is covered with gold and silver; there is no breath in it. But the Lord is in His holy temple; let all the earth be silent before Him.”  Habakkuk 2:18-20.

I have read many scripture verses which speak about idols, but such verses have taken on a whole new meaning to me since my arrival in Thailand. My room is exactly 11 steps away from a large golden Buddhist statue (yes, I just took a walk to count for you). The view from my balcony – to the right sits a large Buddhist temple, and to the left a spirit house belonging to the apartment owner. The school and some classrooms where I teach are adorned with Buddhist and Animistic symbols.   

I am ever more and more aware of my personal need for Jesus and how lost I am without Him. I am ever more and more thankful for the privilege of knowing Him and for His love. I am ever more and more aware of how this world needs Jesus and of the need to pray for workers to be sent into the field, for “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few” Luke 10:2.

As I walk around Tak and see the shrines, temples, and spirit houses in the thousands, it is hard to understand how this nation will be reached. I begin to pray for this city and for its people, but I have no words to say, I only weep. Despite how far from the knowledge of the truth this nation may be, God placed a beautiful verse on my heart today which brings me great hope:

“Look at the nations and watch – and be utterly amazed. For I am going to something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told”.  Habakkuk 1:5

I love the Thai people and I believe that Jesus will do mighty works in this country to show His love to them.

Thanks for reading,
Heather


The statue down the hall from my room.
The view of the temple from my balcony 
One of many spirit houses. 
Shrine of King Taksin the great.
A statue of the king can be seen through the window on the right hand side.  
Spirit houses are sometimes lit during the evenings. 

Offering to the spirits



Walk of gold images

Worshipers making offerings and burning incense.
Shrines in the river

1 comment:

  1. Heather this reminds me so much of Nepal; but just as I saw God move in powerful ways there, so will He move powerfully in your midst. I found these scriptures to encourage you; but I invite you to read all of Ephesians 2 and 3.
    Ephesians:
    Ch. 2
    11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands—
    12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.
    13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ…

    19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
    20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone,
    21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord.
    22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit.

    Ch. 3
    4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,
    5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.
    6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel…

    14 For this reason I bow my knees before the Father,
    15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
    16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
    17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
    18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
    19 and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
    20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,
    21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
    [<3 Meg.V.P.]

    ReplyDelete