Sunday, November 18, 2012

Instant Fame


It is strange being a celebrity in a place where you have lived for only two weeks. Heather and I went to explore the other side of the Ping River and I treated her to lunch (a grand total of $2). I know that is too expensive for most men but I felt it was the right thing to do ;) When I was paying the bill the Thai cashier said in very good English “Hello teacher Connor I go to Taksin Rachanusorn School. Nice to meet you.” I teach at a different school so I was caught off guard. “Uhh how do you know me?” “Oh you are on your schools facebook page.” So apparently I am on my schools facebook page and apparently a lot of people know that.

We then went to a different area and a man came out of his house and was very happy to meet us. He had seen us at church and was excited to tell us that he had painted the sign of a cross at the entrance to his house. Then he continued to be excited. So we congratulated him multiple times because once just didn’t seem like enough.

Many Thai’s have never heard of Jesus Christ. I had a difficult time explaining Paris’s Notre Dame Cathedral to a very bright student, who is the school’s selected representative for an upcoming French competition. In the end, despite my words and drawings the student never understood what Notre Dame was as she had never heard of a Church, a Christian, or Jesus Christ.

One of the aspects of Thai culture I was looking forward to seeing was the poorly translated t-shirts. Before coming here I had seen a shirt which read “Be like your liver and love mango.” My favourite one so far is from a lady that was making our food. She was wearing a shirt with cartoon hippos in water which read “Hi, Let’s Swimming!” Sometimes it is difficult not to laugh out loud.

Heather and I have also started studying the book of Revelation. My favourite part so far is the free blessing. So if you feel like being blessed read Revelation. “Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it” Revelation 1:3

Those are some of Connor's stories from Tak and now here are some photos



This was a nice view...

This is a better view

View of Tak from the other side of the Ping River

Tak (ตาก)

Map of Tak Province. The 4th largest province in Thailand. 


Entrance to downtown Tak

The King of Thailand is a very respected and his image is everywhere. His name is Rama IX and he is the world's longest serving current head of state. He became king of Thailand in June 1946.


No marching bands!

Spirit House with food and drink offerings
Rosters at the shrine of Taksin the great.

 Random French sign!

Car with an identity crisis


Random photo of Japan!




4 comments:

  1. OMG it's Connor can I get your autograph? Please...I can't believe I know a famous person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You must be enjoying a lot of things there! Thanks for sharing!
    We can't wait to hear more!
    You are like two red roses amongs black roses VERY EASY TO SPOT!lol!

    Zeka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!! Aha I looked up the Facebook page and there you guys were :) 90 likes?! How popular ;)
    I'm loving reading these guys. I can totally imagine you telling these stories in person. It's perfect. Keep up the awesome ground-breaking work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also looked up the Facebook page! You guys look sharp! ;) These make my day, thank you for sharing! [Meg.V.P.]

    ReplyDelete