Saturday, October 2, 2010

Drops of Canada in the Desert

I have always loved the rain. It is so peaceful falling asleep to the sound of gentle showers, it is so fun twirling an umbrella and dancing around in a downpour. I enjoy running in the rain and mud-puddle jumping, walks during downpours (sounding familiar Charity?), and even the fun of listening to thunder storms. There is something renewing about rain, something refreshing, something powerful, something freeing.

I have been here in Namibia one month now and have not seen a drop of rain; actually, the country has not seen rain in a number of months... that is until Wednesday evening. Rain fell heavy that night, thunder rolled, and flashes of lightening lit up the sky. The real surprise however, came early Thursday evening. The clouds, wind, and rain returned, only this time they brought with them huge pieces of hail. Though it was not snow, and there was not enough to put together to make a snowman, seeing the cold, white pieces fall from the sky was a great reminder of home. A little taste of Canada... in Africa. It was wonderful! As I stood outside and reflected on God's awesome power, I was reminded of the truth written in Matthew 19:26 “...with God all things are possible”.

When I think about the students at FHS, my heart both melts and aches. I have truly fallen in love with these kids, they have amazing spirits; they are precious. Seeing how they are faced with so many challenges and obstacles, I have had moments of great discouragement. Can anything I do really have an impact? I have had moments of being overwhelmed. Can my three months here have an impact for God's Kingdom in this seemingly endless battle? I am thankful for God's reminder through the hail, that 'all things are possible'. His deep well of love overflows, even in the driest of deserts. His light has power to shine, even in the darkest of places. He works in the most surprising and unexpected ways, leaving us in awe of His incomparable power, creativity and goodness. Whether sun, rain, hail, or storm, He is with us through every step of every journey. He has power over the heavens, He has power over the skies, and He has power over these children's lives.

In my moments of weakness I am grateful for His promise in 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 which says “ 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” God is glorified in our weaknesses when we surrender everything into His hands and trust Him for provision. For this, I am truly thankful.

Thanks for reading,
~Heather

Cultural Tidbits:

- Kabob (meat on a stick) = Sosatie
- Barbeque = Braai
- Recipes for high-altitude turn out better here in Windhoek
- Namibia has three ecosystems: The Coast and Sea, The Desert, The Savannah ( This cultural fact is brought to you by the Grade 7 Natural Science Namibian syllabus).

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your adventures in Africa :) You're such a beautiful daughter of God. I miss you! God bless!

    ~Pamela Dunville

    ReplyDelete