Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wrapping up in Tak

Connor's Last Tak Entry

It took me four months but I finally found a quiet place to walk where I could enjoy the tranquility of nature. However, on my second trip out I walked by a house that had six dogs. Thankfully, they were fenced in. Then one dog jumped onto a spirit house and over the fence. I expected the rest to follow so I rushed into the woods to find a stick. Thankfully none of the other five dogs realized how to jump over the fence and the dog didn’t enter the woods. I breathed a sigh of relief and I turned around only to see a pack six wild dogs watching my every move. They didn’t attack and I managed to slip away but I know I dogged a bullet that time.

The Thai community in Tak have been incredibly kind to Heather and I despite a gigantic language barrier. They accepted us as part of their community and I am very grateful for that. Here are some stories of their generosity.  

Internet Cafe
Heather and I became friends with a very nice family that ran an internet cafe. Before I left they put up a photo of me in their store, gave me a CD full of photos from shared memories and took Heather and I out to dinner at the best restaurant in Tak. Yet, they weren’t finished. The morning before Heather and I were leaving they stopped by and gave us a bunch of candle holders and they still weren’t finished. An hour later, they stopped by again and gave us some beautiful handmade cloth.

Restaurant  #1
At one restaurant the owner saw us as her grandchildren and often refused to let us pay for meals. She bought both Heather and I Tak t-shirts and even gave us each a gold medallion with a king of Thailand on it that had been in her family for years.  

Restaurant #2
 At one restaurant they really wanted to give us a goodbye message in English. The trouble was the only friend they knew who spoke English lived in Germany. It turned out that didn’t matter and before I knew it I was speaking to their friend in Germany who told Heather and I in English that many people were going to miss us.

Motorcycle Man
One man from the community showed up on my doorstep one day with a big smile. In his hand he held the most surprising gift that Heather and I received. He had handmade each of us a cowboy hat! This was exciting so we spent the morning walking around town in cowboy hats. 


That wraps up my time in Tak and now I'm off to Cambodia!


What a useful information board...

Read the red writing under King Taksin aloud without pausing. Yes, aloud it's worth it.

A Thai Style Graduation

High School Graduates put flowers on their heads.


Mango picking
Construction in Thailand















2 comments:

  1. Hi Connor, this is Sabrina (from roots)

    I just wanted to say that the people in Tak sound amazing. It is really cool how they are so welcoming are teach you guys so much.

    I hope that I can be like that restaurant owner and be "grandmother" to some new people one day :)

    Have a great time in Cambodia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed these last posts when they came out and only read them now. I did read all of the writing in red, Connor, and it made me laugh. I just saw a picture of you and Heather with James in Istanbul (I think that's where it was taken, anyway!), and I'm so happy that you have the chance to explore such a neat area before coming home! I'm looking forward to seeing you both (and James, too, if he comes to visit!).

    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete