Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Thai Goodbye

Heather's point of view:


Greetings from the Gulf of Thailand! Connor and I have finished our teaching, have submitted our 800+ report cards, and have made it south to the beautiful Island of Koh Chang. Although neither of us are lie on the beach kind of people, we have been thoroughly enjoying our time swimming, kayaking, walking in the jungle, and relaxing. This is the first time since our trip at New Year’s that we have spoken in normal English for an entire day and eaten a meal without people staring at us. It is amazing how restful it has been. We are loving our time as tourists, but we are so thankful that this is not all we know of Thailand.

 “We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us“ 1 Thessalonians 2:8

Before leaving for Thailand Connor and I studied 1 Thessalonians together. The above verse really stood out to me. Would I really grow to love the Thai people as I had the people of Namibia?  

Upon arriving this question was quickly wiped from my mind and there are many people whom I will dearly miss. My hardest goodbye was with my friend whom I'll call Grace. She owns a little coffee shop that I called “Rung-rienne, Grace”, or “Grace’s school”, as she would teach me Thai and I would teach her English and even a little French. We had so much fun together. Grace really meant a lot to me, but it was not until I said my final goodbye that I realized our friendship meant as much to her too. Thais rarely show emotion. When babies fall they cry for 10-15 seconds and then they stop. No attention is given to them when they cry and so they simply don’t revert to crying. In general, any major demonstration of emotion is avoided, including sadness. Aware of this, I held back tears when saying my goodbyes… that was until my goodbye with Grace. As I was leaving she gave me a big hug (also something not often done among Thais unless you’re very close), and then she started to cry. I couldn’t believe it. She gave me another hug and told me she loved me. She and many others have become very dear to me and it was such a privilege to share life and share Jesus with them.

The book of Thessalonians also emphasizes the importance of not being a burden while living in a culture not your own. Connor and I had prayed to not be a burden to our community, but when we first arrived, it felt like an impossible task. We were here as teachers to help the young people of the community, but we did not know how to say hello, read any signs, or turn the lights on. Despite how much we had to learn, it is wonderful to be able to leave knowing that God answered that prayer. How do we know this? Well, let’s just say we cannot begin to count the number of meals we’ve been invited to, gifts we’ve been given, assistance we’ve been offered, and meaningful words from many expressing their sadness to see us leave and inviting us back to Thailand.

As I this season of my journey in Thailand has finished, I am indeed sad to leave, but I am also so thankful it happened. I’m amazed at all that Jesus has done and am grateful for so many incredible opportunities and stories. I’m reminded of the following famous passage from Ecclesiastes 3:

  There is a time for everything,
  and a season for every activity under the heavens:
       a time to be born and a time to die,
       a time to plant and a time to uproot,

    a time to kill and a time to heal,

    a time to tear down and a time to build,

    a time to weep and a time to laugh,

    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.


Cultural Tidbits:
-Koh = Island, Chang = Elephant -> We are on Elephant Island!
-The cheaper the Thai food, the better it tastes. The tourist Thai food we’ve been eating has no comparison to the small town delicious dishes we’ve gotten used to.
-Bangkok, the capital of Thailand, is Krung Thep Maha Nakhon in Thai. Most Thai people refer to it as Krung Thep.
-The Greater Bangkok area counts a population of over 14.5 million.
-Over 11 million tourists visit Bangkok annually

Special dinner with new friends. 
These girls are so lovely.
Something exciting is just around the corner...
we never quite figured out what it was. 
Do you want your coffee hot, cold, or blasted? 
A really neat bug.
Morning sign in at school.
Classroom activities.


Let's talk about Canada!
The grads parade in a circle around the outdoor auditorium. Speeches were given by the students in Thai, English, French, Chinese, Burmese, and Japanese.



 The celebration also included a tying ceremony. Each student was given a number of white strings which they ask different teachers to tie around their wrists as good luck symbols and protection from the spirits.   
And another feast... Phad Thai anyone?
Tak from the other side of the Ping River.

2 comments:

  1. Indescribable stories and testimonies!!!!!
    Heather my sister, you are unique! God is being glorified all the more in your life, which is the ultimate purpose of our existence!
    You are a living testimony of an obedient believer.
    May the Lord continue to use you and Cornor for greater things!
    Where are you now and what are you upto? Is there anything we need to be aware of :-)? What future plans do you and C have?
    With all our love,
    Zeka and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. شركة الصفرات توفر عليك مجهود النظافة وتعمل علي راحتك
    شركة الصفرات
    شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المنازل بالرياض
    افضل شركة تنظيف منازل وشقق وفلل بالرياض
    شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الشقق بالرياض

    ReplyDelete