Friday, September 17, 2010

You Cannot Climb a Smooth Mountain


I have been in Namibia just two weeks now, but in many ways I feel as though it has been much longer. Time really isn't an issue here in Africa, and perhaps that's why it seems there is more of it. It truly is a wonderful thing. I will say though, that I believe my adjusting and adapting to life in this very different culture is thanks to God preparing me and the answer to many prayers. Both Candace and I feel quite at home here, and working with the children of Family of Hope Services (FHS) is a great privilege. I am taken back every single day by the realization that in fact, I am living a dream. I am in awe of the Lord's faithfulness, He is a God of grace, He is unfathomably good.


The experience however, is certainly not without its challenges. As I sit in the heat of the beautiful African sun, I am reminded of a quote my brother shared with me at the airport before I left Canada. The quote is the following: “You cannot climb a smooth mountain”. Though I am in the midst of an incredible opportunity, I have faced obstacles and know that they will continue to arise throughout my time here. I also know that perseverance through the difficulties will lead to a mountain of hope as is promised in God's word: “...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us” (Romans 5:3-5).


As I reflect upon my time at FHS so far, I cannot help but think of the mountains these precious children are climbing everyday. The centre assists 450 orphans and vulnerable children, all of whom are affected by or infected with HIV/AIDS. This very morning I had a wonderful conversation with an amazing girl named Aldophine. Aldophine is fourteen years old and is in grade five of the remedial program. (The goal of the remedial program is to give these non-school going children some education and a chance to get into a formal school). She has lost her mother, a brother and a sister, and is currently living with her older sister in order to help her out with her children. She dreams of one day becoming a doctor, a lawyer, or a pilot, but until then, she has decided to stay in school and study hard. “It is not always easy,” she told me, as she finds math, agriculture and social studies very tough, “but I can do my best, praise and worship God, and follow Him everyday.” I shared with her about how much God loves her, and I held back tears as she responded “I love Him very much also”. Aldophine has lost some of the most precious people in her life. She has experienced the great pain of seeing loved ones suffer and die. She is four years behind in school and is struggling greatly. Yet despite all this, she wears the most beautiful smile, and does not blame God for her hardships. Rather, she turns to Him for her source of strength. I think we all can learn a lesson from this wise young girl.


In class this morning we were talking about some of the physical features found on the continent of Africa. Mountains happen to be one of them, so I shared the above quote “You cannot climb a smooth mountain” with Aldophine and other students in the class. We talked about how there are many challenges in life, many trials to overcome, but with perseverance, it is possible to make it to the top. This week I had the students memorize Philippians 4:13 which says “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. We talked about how the Lord is always there to help us as we face these obstacles along the mountain's hike. I was so touched to see students remain during the break to copy that piece of scripture onto their scribblers, and one girl even wrote it on her schoolbag. The Lord shines His light into dark places, He is a source of strength, peace, hope and joy.

Again, thank you all so very much for your encouragement, prayers, and emails. I cannot explain how meaningful it is to hear from you folks back home.

With much love and many hugs,

~Heather


Cultural Tidbits:

- How are you? = Ongini (in Oshivambo)
- Come = ila (in Oshivambo)
- Wash = ll āsen (in Damara)
- Bleed = l aoba (in Damara)
- Damara is a clicking language
- Clicking is very very hard
- Pick-up truck = Bakkie


This is a photo of two of the precious children who run around FHS. Shiwa, the little girl on the left is deaf. She captures my heart every day as she clings on to my leg until I pick her up. Kaita is the little boy. He is a bundle of energy, very cute... and he knows it.

More pictures to come very soon!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you were meant to be there. It looks like it too (beautiful picture).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! Wow! It truly sounds like this is such an enriching experience, and that you have already been making a positive difference. It does not surprise me in the least to hear and see that the kids love being with you. I'm sure they just adore you! Thanks for this update, it is so nice to hear that you're feeling settled there.
    Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
    love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Stephen - could you be any more perfect for this job?! It fills me up with hope and joy to hear of how God's kingdom is coming in Namibia, keep up the amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather! I am so overwhelmed with happiness for you. God has truly answered your desire to be in Africa in a way that seems to be so completely designed for your strengths and just things you really enjoy doing! The children you're helping are so incredible and it is great to hear that you are blessing others with your love for Christ and they in return are really touching your heart and teaching you more about Him. I think of you often and keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete