Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy 2556!






That’s right folks. Here in Thailand, not only did I get to ring in the New Year eleven hours before P.E.Islanders, but I also got to celebrate the arrival of a year I will never experience in Canada. Thais follow the Buddhist calendar which is ahead of the international calendar. It always makes me smile when my students hand in their work with the date written over 500 years in the future.

For the New Year holiday Connor and I travelled eight hours to the lovely village of Ban Tallot where we had the privilege of visiting Jim and Marion Harris. Three P.E.Islanders in a tiny unheard of village in rural Thailand – how fun!  It was a wonderful gift to spend time with missionaries whom I greatly love, respect, and who teach me so much. They greeted us warmly and we so enjoyed staying in their home and wandering around the village and countryside. It was very relaxing to have time to read, play games, drink tea and chat around the kitchen table. We had a fantastic break from city life yet were still able to watch the locals set off more fireworks than the city of Summerside.

On our walk home from the bus station in Tak, I was stopped in my tracks. An elephant was walking down the road! Connor bought some sugar cane and we fed the elephant. It was SO neat. We continued our walk back, retelling the story of what had just happened when I looked up again, and there was another elephant! At first Connor thought I was joking, but sure enough this time there was a baby elephant, only two years old, and not 3 minutes away from our apartment building. We fed it too and this little guy even left me with a nice little cut on my hand as proof.  It was a marvelous surprise and a fabulous end to a great weekend. 

As for how I celebrated Christmas, well, it was certainly different from usual but it was still special. In the morning I had a family gathering via skype; seeing their loving faces for the first time since I left the country was without question my favorite gift. I then spent the day proctoring student exams and went to church in the evening where we sang carols in Thai and shared a Christmas feast. Remembering Jesus’ birth with Thai people was a beautiful picture of the truth that He came not for a certain race, class, or culture, but for people of all nations.   

Just the other day a teacher at school asked me if I believed Jesus was real. How wonderful it was to be able to tell her that not only is Jesus real, but He is alive. How great to be able to share that Christianity is not about the ‘dos and the don’ts’ which we all fail at, but rather about knowing Jesus, trusting Him, and living for Him. It is He that offers life and not us who can work to achieve it.

Sending you all my biggest and bestest of wishes for a fabulous year ahead!  

~Heather


A tuk tuk was my horse and sleigh ride this year. 
Christmas card wreath decor. Thank you to everyone who has been so kind in
sending me cards, emails, letters, etc. It never fails to brighten my day!
Someone sent me snow from Canada!
(Thanks Beth!)
Boxing Day Treat!
(Thanks Connor!)
Snowman salt and pepper shakers belonging to my Grammie helped decorate my room for Christmas.
A little bit of Christmas at the Farm in Thailand.
(Thank you Joanne!)
No tree to hang ornaments but this beautiful angel
makes me smile each time I open my armoire door.
(Thanks Marlene!)
Look Joanne - a teddy bear tree in Thailand!
Ban Tallot is beautiful.

Wet rice field.
Drying paddy field.
Thai potato field. They actually don't eat Thai potatoes,
instead they process them for starch. 
Workers in a potato field. They let the Thai potato plants grow 6-7 feet high. 
Sugar cane!
Cotton!
Brahman cows

Jackfruit tree.
I love seeing palms.

Off duty guard dog. I think the heat got to him.
Happy New Year!
Hey look! There's an elephant walking down the road.

mmmm, sugar cane.

Here's a few shots from the New Year's Festival here in Tak:



Crowded market 
Thai dancers are always excited to pose for foreigners' pictures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment